Vacancy Announcement – May 10, 2012
Position Location: Baltimore, MD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Level: 3
Founded in 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors.
NAACP, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is seeking highly motivated Staff Accountant to help support the Finance Department with month-end closing procedures and preparation of reports to federal regulatory agencies. This position will require the ability to assist in managing and maintaining the Association’s financial procedures, including financial planning and analysis, forecasting, revenue and expenditure analysis for making recommendations, development of budgets, and reporting on the financial status of the Association.
Summary of Duties:
Under the direction of the Controller, the Staff Accountant will:
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations and account analyses.
- Reconcile multiple bank accounts and agree them to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, and ad hoc financial status reports for the Association’s events for Finance and for respective operations / events managers.
- Prepare invoices for funder contributions and sponsorship revenue and prepare related accounts receivable journal entries for these items.
- Reconcile accounts receivable on a monthly basis and send follow-up notices / invoices on outstanding balances.
- Prepare journal entries for accruals, allocations, adjusting, and correcting expense and revenue accounts and ensure that the entries are properly documented and supported.
- Understand and maintain internal accounting controls and assist in completion of Association financial statements and reports for management, Board of Directors, and auditors in a timely manner.
- Make recommendations to keep the general ledger chart of accounts current.
- Assist with the processing of cash receipts, cash disbursements and convention registrations as required.
- Assist in ensuring that Association assets are properly accounted for and safeguarded from loss.
- Perform other related responsibilities, projects, and assignments as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer and Controller.
Ideal candidates for this position will posses many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited four year college or institution is required.
- Three to five years of relevant accounting or auditing experience in a medium to large nonprofit organization.
- Proven experience in performing account reconciliations and account analyses, thorough understanding of journal entries, cash receipts, cash disbursements and general accepted accounting principles, practices, policies and procedures required.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, along with strong effective interpersonal skills.
- Strong skills and experience in the use of automated accounting systems (Financial Edge preferred) and Microsoft Office products.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work extended hours during peak periods.
- Personal commitment to NAACP’s mission and goals.
To Apply: Resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary requirements should be sent to NAACP:
Email: email@example.com (preferred method)
Mail: NAACP – Human Resources, 4805 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215
Fax: (410) 580-5735